Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Seven

I have read (and re-read) the entire HP series twice in the past month.

The seventh book was particularly intriguing - and I was drawn to many of its chapters again and again.

This section (Chapter 7, pp 115 - 116) is my personal favorite, if only because I identify strongly with it:

Ginny looked up into Harry's face, took a deep breadth, and said,
"Happy seventeenth."

"Yeah...thanks."

She was looking at him steadily; he, however, found it difficult to look back at her; it was like gazing into a brilliant light.

"Nice view," he said feebly, pointing toward the window.

She ignored this. He could not blame her.

"I couldn't think what to get you," she said.

"You didn't have to get me anything."

She disregarded this too.

"I didn't know what would be useful. Nothing too big, because you wouldn't be able to take it with you."

He chanced a glance at her. She was not tearful; that one of the most wonderful things about Ginny, she was rarely weepy. He had sometimes thought that having six brothers must have toughened her up.

She took a step closer to him.

"So then I thought, I'd like you to have something to remember me by, you know, if you met some veela when you're off doing whatever you're doing."

"I think dating opportunities are going to be pretty thin on the ground, to be honest."

"There's the silver lining I've been looking for," she whispered, and then she was kissing him as she had never kissed him before, and Harry was kissing her back, and it was blissful oblivion, better than firewhiskey; she was the only real thing in the world, Ginny, the feel of her, one hand at her back, and one in her long, sweet smelling hair -


*


Winter has arrived in Arizona with a vengeance, and it actually dipped into the 30s (F) at night in the Valley. Adding to that - it had been raining on-off almost continuously the past 6 days. Yes, you heard me right: rain in the Sonoran desert.

It is cold, it is wet, it gets dark early, and the pangs of loneliness bite the hardest at this time of the year.

That said, I will miss you, Arizona. It has been a wonderful 7 months.

*


A friend from my undergrad days will be inviting me to her place for a gathering later this month. She knows I am (still) single, and wants to introduce her secondary school classmate to me. To cut down on any possible awkwardness, there will be other couples, although we will be the only singles present.

I liked the way she broached this topic to me when we met on MSN:

"Do you mind over-achieving girls?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, the girl has a Masters from LSE, and is a scholar (some high flyer at a ministry). But she has completed her bond. Her ex was some kind of lazy bum, D grades in the (local) uni and no ambitions in life; but she stood by him even helping him find a job in the civil service. He later dumped her for an older woman."

"OK, I don't mind making new friends. Is she tethered to Sg (emotionally)?"

"No. She is OK with moving out of Sg."

"Sure, we can meet up, and I can get you something from Arizona."

Apparently she had done quite a bit of homework on (both of us). It's funny how the first cut-off (from friends and family) would almost always be educational qualifications and job titles.

*


I will be (tentatively) meeting H. She asked me point blank to get her something from the US. Some kind of 见面礼.

12 comments:

k3\/ said...

H seems pretty cool~ go for her,dudeee

sunny flowery said...

Yar! H is so cool!

Anonymous said...

哇!终于回来了,家乡永远是美丽的,无论你离开多久。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。

takchek said...

I am just going back for a vacation. Sg is just a place where most of my friends and family members are. That's all.

Don't presume anything. I will be more comfortable in a place like Chapel Hill, or Durham, or Madison or Ann Arbor than Temasek.

Anonymous said...

这是一个复杂而又现实的问题,很多人也和你一样,不愿意或逃避的离开了。。。。。

agrainofsand said...

why are you still meeting H?? hahahaha.

well is education an important thing to you then? is that YOUR own first cutoff?

takchek said...

If education is my first cut-off, I won't even be entertaining the thought of agreeing to meet H. (Although I told her it's tentative - I have too many gatherings lined up!)

Why am I meeting her? Hmm...Because I want to see what kind of person she is like in real life? Online messaging has the potential to cause misunderstandings, you know...

Unknown said...

That is pretty astute (the part on seeing how H is like in real life).

Although education isn't a cut-off for myself, I would say that it does affect a lot in shaping a person, particularly in Singapore. At least from the MSN conversations in your posts and how she actually asked you point-blank about getting a gift for her, my 'psychic prediction' is that:

1. She wants a guy whom she can show off to (friends/family);

2. She most likely wants to get married ahead of her female peers, or as soon as possible to avoid being the last one;

3. She has a tinge of rebellious nature which might manifest in doing things out of the norm;

4. Her confidence hinges on the ability to attract someone.

Maybe you can post again after the meet-up (assuming you manage to) and see how the prediction turns out.

CK said...

If it were me, I would prefer not to meet H, and would instead be looking forward to meeting the lady that your friend has so kindly matched you up with.

But then, thinking ahead and from experiences gathered from experiencing, watching and observing, H might be the one who will stand by you in the end.

Let us know how it turned out! :D

Xue said...

why are you meeting h?! she sounds like a typical singaporean girl... :P

-ben said...

Is she tethered to Sg (emotionally)?

Very astute. Speaking from experience, knowing the (truthful) answer to that will save you a lot of grief and frustration down the road.

All the best, takchek!

sugarami said...

Have fun meeting H! Merry X'mas!