Wednesday, August 17, 2005

门当户对

In East Asian societies in general - When falling in love, one also has to make sure the partner is of a similar (or higher/acceptable) social standing. There will usually be heavy familial pressure if otherwise. In the case of Singapore, the class divide is already as complicated as it is already.

Basically, I think it boils down to two things: money and face.
Guitar of TJC forums brings this dimension to the scholarship debate - that being a (overseas) scholar gives one a leg up in the courtship game.

1 comment:

L'oiseau rebelle said...

Guess I should be glad my parents are more open minded about such things...

But gosh, I've heard so many stories about such elitist behavior... one parent I know of even spotted a girl she would like her son to eventually date (well, must finish studies first, right?) based on the fact that she's a top student from top schools. Notwithstanding that her son wasn't exactly interested...