Sunday, September 11, 2005

Day of Remembrance; Mid Autumn

Today America remembers its heroes and the fallen, with memorial services in New York City, Washington DC and southwestern Pennsylvania.

We shall not forget.

Free Image Hosting - www.supload.com
Image from wikipedia

------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Singapore, mid-autumn is another week away but the festivities have already started with light-ups in Chinatown. I never really thought much about the festival except for the mooncakes - how I love the yolk-less lotus paste ones, as well as the celebrations (and performances) put up in my secondary school.

The most memorable one was perhaps receiving a box of 4 mooncakes from an ex five years ago, delivered by regular mail across 13 time zones. Yeap, they were still edible. :) The weather then had turned cold, but my heart felt warm. True to the spirit of the Festival, I shared them with my German and Spanish roommates.

Night scene near the Fuji Five Lakes

水调歌头
丙辰中秋,欢饮达旦,大醉,作此篇,兼怀子由。

明月几时有?把酒问青天。
不知天上宫阙,今夕是何年。
我欲乘风归去,又恐琼楼玉宇,高处不胜寒。
起舞弄清影,何似在人间?

转朱阁,低绮户,照无眠。
不应有恨,何事长向别时圆?
人有悲欢离合,月有阴晴圆缺,此事古难全。
但愿人长久,千里共婵娟。

- 苏轼(1037-1101) (Song poet, Su Shi)

This poem was made famous through a song by Teresa Teng.

On a side note, this perhaps explains why I suck in love.

The SAP education stuns the romance gene in males. Or let’s not even go there. It’s as simple as they really don’t know how to treat girls right, or have the sensibility and maturity to be gentle in a manly way. It doesn’t matter that the guy went to RJC or HCJC thereafter, and even enjoyed an overseas education in UK or US. The SAP past is deeply embedded, such that each of him tenses up in front of you, gets painfully shy, childishly torments you in a bid to get your attention (and hence, win the affections, he thinks), or is just unusually slick (to mask his embarrassment), or all of the above.


I miss home too. Gets especially bad during the major holidays and class/close relatives gatherings/weddings.

4 comments:

The Aspiring Chef said...

Finally a longer post from you :)

Haha, I've to agree that the stereotype SAP guy behaves like that. But there are always exceptions to the norm, as evident by some of my friends.

How many more months/years would you be 'stationed' overseas before returning home for good?

rench00 said...

i know what you mean!!! both about missing home and being a stereotypical SAP guy.

i still remember that first time my mom first sent me stuff when i was studying in UK. i was reading the letter she wrote, it was simple, about studying hard, taking care, usual platitudes. but it was her handwriting. in chinese. her tone. and i just broke down.

now i am home. and i miss the friends i made when i was in UK, many of whom are not Singaporeans.

and about the stereotypes of SAP... well... i'm one of them and girls won't come near me with a 3 feet long barge pole. unless it is to clobber me with it...

shu said...

hi! i read your comments on my blog and would like to ask you: What's your recommendation for a good liberal arts education if I'm majoring in Biology?

takchek said...

I don't have a particular recommendation. It depends on what you want. Biology is so broad, so you might want to target those universities which have strong medical schools as compared to those liberal arts institutions which offer primarily undergraduate education.

I also think that you have basically made up your mind about where you want to go.