Monday, July 04, 2005

Your bulb no bright enough; Independence Day

Ms Beautifuk's entry reminded me of the several reasons why I don't miss meeting up with my extended family sometimes. Especially during the Chinese New Year where you would have folks comparing whose kids are *brighter* (through the schools they attended, their results in the national standardized exams etc). Then if you happen to be in college, questions like the existence of your other half, and your possible career(s) would be asked. Not that this is wrong of course, I mean there needs to be some topics to talk about, and such questions are pretty standard. The problem comes about in the way they are phrased. Sometimes so condescending and sarcastic that you would want to stand up and walk out.

I guess it is worse if you have relatives (like his case) whose kids are super smart and going places and your folks are the face-conscious ones.

Then another of beautifuk's posts brings to mind the many friends acquaintances I had from my secondary school to JC days. Fishing for compliments, so they say.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The US Independence Day.

ID4 fireworks
Fireworks aplenty tonight. :)

3 comments:

tausarpiah said...

hmmmz ... ever wondered at these kinda occasions ... issit parents or children who feel more upset ...?

tscd said...

I spent Christmas this past year away from the extended family - really missed the noise and chatter of my cousins and the raucous laughter of my aunts and uncles.

On the other hand, I didn't have to say 'no children yet lah!' over and over again.

Well, you win some, you lose some.

L'oiseau rebelle said...

Thank goodness I don't have *that* many (first) cousins, and some branches of the family don't reside in Singapore. But the relatives who are around... are another thing.