Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Would you go?

A cousin of mine was offered an overseas posting to New York (the benefits and pay/compensation are quite lucrative actually) from his company as a financial analyst. He grabbed it almost immediately when he received the offer letter. He was kinda upset actually to not be able to study abroad during his undergrad years, so I guess this is his chance to experience living and working outside of Singapore. I got to know from him that several of his colleagues actually turned down the offers.

The reasons were varied, but most centered around their other-halves/family. One could not go because his wife did not want to quit her job here. Another was an only child, and he did not want to leave his parents alone in Singapore. Yet another had a homemaker wife with two young kids in tow (plus his mum was staying with him), and he felt the salary he would be getting would not pay for the entire family's living expenses in the Big Apple. The last one faced resistance from her fiance, who feared they would spilt up if she remained in the US (and they apart) for too long.

My cousin is luckier - still single and with no girlfriend yet he has nothing to hold him back to Singapore. The only grouses were from my aunt, who feared he might bring back an ang-moh bor, and no chance to get to know the local (ie Singaporean) girls.

Then I remembered when I went back to Singapore last summer, I had my JC class gathering. I posed this question to several of my high-flying scholar (and non-scholar) ex-classmates if they would give up their careers to join their SOs (Significant Others) overseas. Most said "no"...

Would you?

7 comments:

iwadesu said...

my maternal grandfather made my dad marry my mum before he left for Singapore :D

tscd said...

I am already here.

-ben said...

"The only grouses were from my aunt, who feared he might bring back an ang-moh bor, and no chance to get to know the local (ie Singaporean) girls."

That comes across as racist and xenophobic.

takchek said...

Unfortunately, her views are not atypical of her generation.

Unknown said...

I like what elyrie said about if you are worried about the relationship breaking up due to geographical location, then you better rethink why you're with the other person. If it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be. Go find your "one true love."

Back to your question, I would say, one form of love one can give is the love that gives and asks for nothing in return. Nothing is black and white, and you can throw in a few other setbacks, but what is your priorities?

Personal success or success for the greater cause (i.e., you and your other half together).

Heavenly Sword said...

If parents still not so old, I would go...If parents old already, I will try not to go.... Loneliness at old age is a torture, I think...

Anonymous said...

I'm also in a predicament. i'm bound overseas after NS. but there are more than a dozen of things that are holding me back. wells, i guess it's really a decision to make. and i think it'll be harder if i'm attached. thats probably one of the reason why i didn't want to start a relationship.